David Collingwood, the Co-op's head of funeral operations, said:
"Funerals are very much about personal choice and reflecting the personality, hobbies and interests of a person.
"More so than ever we're seeing people pre-plan their funeral music and, in the last 12 months, 42 per cent of our funeral directors and arrangers have received ready-made pre-planned funeral playlists.”
Sports, soaps and celebs guide
- Sport fans still want The Match of the Day theme tune or Liverpool FC's ‘You'll Never Walk Alone’
- Soap fans request Coronation Street's theme tune
- Celebrity deaths affect music choices - David Bowie’s music has risen popularity
- Hymns are becoming less popular, but are still sung at many funerals with ‘The Lord is my shepherd’ coming in at no 5
Top 10 funeral songs 2016
- My Way - Frank Sinatra
- Time to Say Goodbye - Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
- Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy
- Wind Beneath my Wings - Bette Midler
- The Lord is My Shepherd - Psalm 23/Crimond
- We’ll Meet Again - Vera Lynn
- All Things Bright and Beautiful – Hymn
- Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python
- Abide with Me – Hymn
- Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
Recorded or live
We always say that if you love the singer of a song, play the recording. However, if it’s the song itself that’s loved, having it sung live adds a personal and special touch to a funeral service.
We’ve sung the following in the top 10 for each of the categories featured on the Co-op’s survey.
- Hymns/Traditional - We’ve sung them all
- Contemporary Pop - ‘You raise me up’
- Country - ‘Annie’s song’ and ‘Over the rainbow’
- Classical - ‘Time to Say Goodbye’, ‘Nessun Dorma’, ‘Ave Maria’ and ‘Pie Jesu’
- Sport - ‘You’ll never walk alone’, ‘World in Union’
- Jazz - ‘What a Wonderful World’ and ‘Smile’
- TV/Film - ‘Going Home’ – Hovis Theme Tune and ‘Bring me Sunshine’ (my favourite) - Morecambe and Wise
If you’d like us to sing at a funeral service, call us or send an email.
I just wanted to say a big thank you for your role in Joe’s funeral. Your presence and contribution added a perfect extra dimension to the service and inspired people to sing way above the barely audible murmur of most services I’ve attended.
Your solo also moved some (including my wife) to tears as her father particularly loved that piece sung well.