Top Catholic songs for funerals
The surprise was, that despite my dealings with many Catholic priests and what music they will (or won't) allow in church, "Time to say Goodbye" comes in at number 7!
Check with your priest
However, the inclusion of "Time to say Goodbye" shows there are priests out there who are more lenient than other when it comes to family choices of music for funerals.
Admittedly, "Time to say Goodbye" is almost always sung as a recessional item. By this point, in effect, the Mass is finished and hence non-religious funeral music is permitted. It's got a great tune and does make a good number to leave the church to, with its final, positive high note.
Top 10 Catholic funeral solos from Singers for Funerals
- Ave Maria (Schubert)
- Panis Angelicus
- The Lord is my shepherd (Goodall)
- Pie Jesu (Lloyd Webber)
- May the choirs of angels come to greet you (Song of Farewell)
- On Eagle's Wings
- Time to say Goodbye / Con te partiro
- Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod)
- Ave Verum Corpus
- May the road rise to meet you (Irish Blessing)
Hymns we all love to sing
Newton was brought up as a Catholic but had Protestant sympathies. His mother was a devout Independent unaffiliated with the Anglican Church. Does this explain the hymn’s popularity with Catholics? Or is it more to do with familiarity?
The soloist’s favourite
I'm also always happy to sing "Go silent friend", sung to the tune of "Danny Boy", aka the Londonderry Air. The words are very appropriate for a funeral, and the tune is lovely, lilting and known to most of us.
My absolute favourite on the list is "I watch the sunrise”. This hymn is so soft and gentle, and expresses the emotions many of us are dealing with at a funeral.
Top 20 Catholic funeral hymns from Singers for Funerals
- Amazing Grace
- The Lord is my Shepherd (Crimond)
- I the Lord of sea and sky (here I am, Lord)
- Make me a channel of your peace
- Abide with me
- I watch the sunrise lighting the sky
- How Great Thou Art
- This is my body
- Soul of my saviour
- As I kneel before you
- Morning has broken
- Dear Lord and Father of Mankind
- All things bright and beautiful
- Praise my soul the King of heaven
- Lord of all hopefulness
- Love Divine, all loves excelling (Blaenwern)
- Going Home
- Go, silent friend
- Hail Queen of heaven
- The Old Rugged Cross